Friday, August 2, 2013

Something Sweet: Low Fat Lemon Chocolate Chip Cake Bars

Are you in the mood for a sweet treat?  I know I am.  Some days I just need an afternoon pick me up.  Maybe a cup of coffee or tea and a little something sweet.  I am a lover of brownies and bars more than cake or cookies.  To me, bars are the best of both worlds.

Lemon Chocolate Chip Cake Bars are my lightened up version of a traditional cake bar.  Semi sweet chocolate chips add sweetness and the fresh lemon glaze adds some tartness.  I keep these light by using unsweetened applesauce in place of oil and egg substitute instead of whole eggs.  Even with these substitutions, these bars are cake-like and moist. The lemon glaze is optional.  They are delicious without glaze or make the glaze without lemon if you prefer a simple vanilla flavor.  A really nice sweet treat for your afternoon coffee break or any time of the day.   Enjoy!
Low Fat Lemon Chocolate Chip Cake Bars
16 bars or can be halved into 32 bars

1 box white or yellow cake mix (I use Betty Crocker Super Moist)
1 box sugar-free vanilla pudding
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup liquid egg substitute
3 tablespoons plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray.  Mix cake mix and pudding in a medium size bowl.
Add the water, applesauce, egg substitute and yogurt into the cake mix and pudding.  Stir to combine.  The batter will be very thick.
Add chocolate chips to the batter and stir just to combine.  Press the batter into the bottom of the prepared cake pan.
Bake the bars for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned on top.  Do not over bake.  Remove from oven and  allow to cool while you prepare the glaze.

Lemon Glaze

Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lemon
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

To a small bowl, add the powdered sugar, zest, juice and vanilla extract. Stir with a whisk until combined and there are no lumps. Pour the glaze over the cooled cookie bars in an even layer. Place pan in the refrigerator to set the glaze. Cut into bars.

2 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I may make these this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Staci-
      They are a big hit with my family. Let me know how you like them. Thanks for reading.

      Delete